Monday, November 07, 2005

while you are reading this, you are not the same person you were before reading this

yes... i keep changing my posts... seems that whatever i am thinking in the mornings is always different from where i find myself in the evenings... night time has strange way of shifting form and shape, patterns move until the quintessential shadow is only visible in total darkness. there's something about the handicap of sight that illuminates everything. besides i like not having set 'absolute articles' (which like ART is such a pillar-ed capital ISM word). i hate all derivatives of Absolute Art. what an inflexible notion, a totality of finality, an embodiment of human ugliness... especially when there's no such thing as pillars of thought...when all we write about is really just words and ideas caught in transit... shadows moving in a perpetual stream of consciousness, hesitantly and briefly caught in lighted fragments on white paper...

tonight i went to the jonathan safran foer book reading/signing. nice guy. but pete hamill didn't shut up about the dodgers... guess nostalgia is really just an endless mental run-on...and once started the listener is stuck on an awkward treadmill of misplaced memory. still despite my lack of interest i attempt to respect the age of old eyes, and sit still quietly, flowing with my directionless thoughts and shadows, making small doodled maps all over my marble legs.

besides for my observations on subconscious flirting- i think of my recent exciting news (5pm to be exact). finally, my education research project has been approved by The Panel. i am relieved...i won't bore myself or you with details, but there's a chance, if successful, for APA publication and landing a position in a good Ph.D program. thrilling news for a research geek... a research geek who celebrates paper with more paper. but right now its hard to move or get too excited with the notion of more paper in my papered life when i am occupied with making neat little rows of desks on my calf.

in this apparent happiness of what should be considered a very monumental moment [and i am being told to be happy]... I am shrouded in the quiet, the drone of Pete Hamill's monotone exulting the F train and the hum of a 1950 treadmill running in the distance to some unknown direction.... I alone spin the spoon of my soggy luke-warm tomato soup, creating a vortex with a curious solar system from bits of green peppers and plastic onions. With effort the metal hits the bottom of my ceramic mug echoing a taste of acute hollowness.

"I thought about life, about my life, the embarrassments, the little coincidences, the shadows of alarm clocks on bedside tables. I thought about my small victories and everything I'd seen destroyed, I'd swum through mink coats on my parents' bed while they hosted downstairs, I'd lost the only person I could have spent my only life with, I'd left behind a thousand tons of marble, I could have released sculptures, I could have released myself from the marble of myself. I'd experienced joy, but not nearly enough, could there be enough? The end of suffering does not justify the suffering, and so there is no end to suffering, what a mess I am, I thought, what a fool, how foolish, how narrow, how worthless, how pinched and pathetic, how helpless."

-from Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tonight we are all staying late for jonathan safran foer lecture.
come
bc
7;30
ciao

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why don't you ever flirt with my feet?

9:54 PM  
Blogger Lea said...

Congrats, Hindy! In what way can we celebrate paper with more paper? Au revoir.

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dahl
i am so happy that your research paper has gotten approved [tho' i don't even want to know the dreadful details].
you're looking good these days girl... i am seriously impressed and like the fabulous boots...
see you in lab dear-
[keep the fancy pencil]
best-
edmond

12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha. thanks eddie. i was keeping the pencil anyway...
and lee-
celebrate birth certificates with party hats...
research papers with diplomas
the paper trail never ends.
o and i got an ipod...
something nano...
mir or moe [please please] will figure out how to set it up...
it's so small i am only scared of losing it...maybe i can glue it to my hip or somethin'...

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I hope this gets you where you want to go.

About Foer- What is up with that? Moish was telling me that he has to read that garbage for school and write a report on it. What ever happened to classic literature? Do you go to school to read that trash? I read Foer, and thought it was just a bunch of drivel.

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's no such thing as classic literature.
if you are referring to people such as Shakespeare, you are victim to a popular misconception.
Shakespeare was revolutionary of his period, so was Milton, so was Chaucer... how unfortunate that they rebelled against the canon only to find themselves back in it.

i like Foer's style- to classify it would be post-modern... but who cares.
you might not like it, but why not give it a shot? read it yourself.
yes, he's a crazy liberal (he donated the profits of the dictionary he edited to any anti-bush organization) but so what?
he has a message... as Disraeli said: "Fiction, in the temper of the times, stands the best chance of influencing opinion".
good luck.

1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These days, you have to be so careful not to judge or criticize anyone. Sure, he's classic. Whatever.

Fact is, he doesn't deal with any themes that make classic literature, well, classic. It isn't a thought-provoking book that deals with any underlying issues; rather it is a comic book, whose only value is in its absurdity.

The test for a book is how much it makes you think. I don't care if the author is a liberal, so long as the book illuminates, or challenges, or clarifies, or explains, or discovers, it is a great book.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m not the person who is obsessed with the “classics” and scorns anything that’s modern and provocative, but the fact is that in the classics you will encounter pure genius, and Foer is anything but genius.

Every great artist was a rebel, but not every rebel is a great artist.

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crazy brown eyed girl-
always a part of you i won't get.
come back when you're ready.
caffeine jolts on me.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even if Foer is the greatest writer around, there is no point in teaching his works in a classic literature course. In my understanding, a main goal for such a course would be to acquaint the student with the writers and books he will come across if he has any literary ventures at all. In other words, part of a basic education is familiarity with the sources that are quoted everywhere. Everywhere you look, from political journals, to comic books, there are references to classic characters and situations as presented in literature. The authors created templates and prototypes that are later developed in subsequent writings.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Hindarella!
I so glad for you... when will you take time off and celebrate with your dear friend??? Another thing to celebrate in addition to your twentieth,I do not want to have to wait until we are 21 or go on another trip trans-Atlantic. Darling much love is being sent your way...
love, thine fellow traveler

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://media.putfile.com/NextMorning

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww Rose...
seriously... I'm embarrassed that this is where we are 'hanging out' with each other.
okay, that's it.
we're all going out.
to celebrate spring equinox the view of life at 20, frozen vanilla yogurt, beautiful shoes and all things related out collective fabulousness.

- and i will keep to the scheduled time, date,
tuti...
hin

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Foer became the brilliant writer that he is by studying the classics. And while his work might be entered into the canon of great works and one day be required reading in high school or college, education must still start from the beginning: from Beowulf, to Chaucer, to Bocaccio, to Cervantes, to Shakespeare, to Pope, to Austin, to Shelley, to Dickens, to Tolstoy, Turgenev, to Dostoevsky, to Bronte, to Joyce, to Shaw, to Fitzgerald, to Woolf, to Orwell, to Stoppard, to Roth, to Miller, etc... and finally reach Foer. I’ve outlined the very short route- there’s a whole lot in between. Beginning with pop literature, as it were, deprives students from the perspective that is necessary to appreciate the literary significance of the contemporary work they're reading beyond its sheer enjoyment.

7:56 PM  
Blogger HindiK said...

Anonymous-
I agree.
There's nothing like finding a new book and fitting it into a wider reference of literature.
you become a deeper reader.

you can't truly read Joyce without Homer.

there's been no original love story since Romeo and Juliet, no hero since Beowulf, and no words that haven't been an echo of something already said...
namastaei.

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HLK said: there's been no original love story since Romeo and Juliet, no hero since Beowulf, and no words that haven't been an echo of something already said...

You misunderstood me; it’s quite the opposite. You cannot write an original love story without having first read Romeo & Juliet. A writer with no historical scope, even one with enormous talent, will inevitably repeat something that has already been said.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose you're right. I guess i do have a somewhat different perspective on literature [tho' by no means is one more correct than another].

For all the books i've read, I've always found that what changes are styles, approaches and perspectives [that being the originality & creativity] but the Story...the Story always persists.

[in fact, almost all the plot lines of Western literature can be traced back to the Jewish Cannon- I think the history of literature lies in the words itself, in the etymology through which the story is constructed.]

i don't know tho', i never thought about it that way...i am only an avid fan.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home